Tuesday 6 March 2012

Narrow Gauge Railway in Luxor - The Sugar Cane Train

Back in 2007 I made a post about the sugar cane railway and just recently I came across a railway forum that was asking about it. So here is my post reprised.


You may have wondered what the narrow gauge railway lines on the West Bank were used for. well at this time of year they harvest the sugar cane fields and the crop is taken away on by trains running on these tracks.

As you can see the grip needs adjusting and the man on the front of the train is pouring sand on the track so the wheels will grip properly.



As the train goes along both adults and children sneak sticks of cane to munch on. I love it but it is dangerous and expensive, the last time I tried it I broke a crown!!!!!


It is really long and goes all the way to Esna where the cane is processed







No comments: