Sunday 20 February 2011

Karnak Temple Today - Cleaned Khonsu Gate

Believe or not there are parts of Karnak I have not got photos of, taken people there loads of times but not taken photos. So today I spent 3 hours filling my album.

This was my first time going through the new visitors center. it has this great model of the temple.



I had not planned to take any photos of the main tourist path but it was sooooo different because there were only about 10 people on the entire site. To get photos without a tourist in sight was irresistible.





I bumped into Mansour while I was there and he pointed out the cleaned gateway at the Khonsu temple. He said it was now the prettiest gateway in Karnak and I have to say I agree.






It was just as empty when I left, beautiful but sad. Come back tourists.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like it's deserted not just at Luxor but everywhere:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41694265/ns/travel-news/

John Bright said...

My first visit to Karnak was at the height of summer. It was pretty hot and there was not a tourist in sight! This, though, is different. I hope for the sake of all the friendly people I have met who depend on the tourist income that things return to normal quickly. I agrre: the Khonsu Gateway looks very good. Any chance they might clean the Akh-Menou?

Banturr said...

We are on our way. Myself, my wife and my parents will all be there on March 30th ..... and we can't wait.

Unknown said...

We're on our way, arriving from Australia on March 8. Can't wait!

hazel said...

we;re on our way from u'k 23 march tickets came yesterday "im coming home i,ve done my time" so tie a yellow ribbon ha ha

hazel said...

we.re on our way 23rd march tickets came yesterday.
im coming home i,ve done my time
"so tie a yellow ribbon round the old "luxor temple